Monday, March 1, 2010

Burton and Depp Speak


Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have been busy promoting their new film, Alice in Wonderland, and have spoken about the upcoming Dark Shadows feature film, slated to begin shooting in 2011.

On the BBC's Friday Night with Jonathan Ross, the pair were in high spirits, explaining the Dark Shadows concept to the UK audience. “It was on TV in the afternoon," said Burton enthusiastically. "It was like a supernatural soap opera... and it was just the weirdest vibe of any show I’ve ever seen." Johnny Depp: "Yeah, a gothic soap opera."

"There were some of the worst camera moves you’ve ever seen in your life," Burton joked. "And strangely a lot of flies landing on actors’ faces, and them still trying to act through it — it was amazing. We’re gonna fill the room with flies... and make the actors pretend that they’re not there!”

Speaking for Enquirer.net, Depp revealed: "I was obsessed with this character, Barnabas Collins... I came to find out many years later that when he was a kid, Tim ran home like I did to watch that Gothic soap opera. It was a very strange thing back then.” Speaking about developing film, Depp said: “We looked at ways to go, story-wise. We’ve started to come up with something interesting. If all goes well, I will jump into that toward the end of this year.”

Update: BBC America are screening this edition on Friday March 5 at 10pm ET/PT.

3 comments:

TheHappyMan said...

Oh, this is so COOL. Thanks for posting this DS update. Like Johnny & Tim I was one of those kids who'd rush home after school to watch the next DS episode.

I'm anxious to learn of the rest of the cast for the 2011 film shooting.
Exciting. Keep me informed. ;)
Hugs,
Michael J Armijo
Marina Del Rey, CA

Bertena Varney said...

me too. I can't wait.. i ran home to. it was the only soap opera I was allowed to watch.

Bertena
Lexington, KY

Rubyred-Sharon said...

Look like many of us Classic DARK SHADOWS fans ran home from school: myself included & what an exhilarity run it was. Great memories... In any event I hope "all" goes well for Actor Johnny DEPP and Directer Tim BURTON (brilliant minds & talents there: their Movie(s)team works are visually magnificent & powerfully script..'and chilly strange, too)..'can't wait for the filming for the new DARK SHADOWS movie. Their an awesome Team! And can't wait to see the finale Gothic chill-bite Horror of a much beloved DARK SHADOWS on the big screen, again. "Please" pick the perfect DS's Casting for the new movie. All the best & anxiously look forward to the finale release in 2011, Winter I believe. Big smile!!!