Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Eva Green Talks Angelique

While promoting her new movie Cracks, actress Eva Green has spoken briefly about her role as the witch Angelique in the new Dark Shadows feature film, a part originally played by Lara Parker.

In a video interview for website Cinema Blend, the actress revealed "I'm shooting Dark Shadows in a month in London. It's a great piece, an amazing crazy role. I'm looking forward to it." Speaking of her inspirations for playing the character, she cites "Bette Davis and Janis Joplin, mixed together." To view the full interview, click here.

In a longer interview for MTV's Movie Blog, Eva confirmed recent speculation that the film will have a retro setting and that Angelique will still be blonde-haired. "I haven't seen the TV series, but from what I've seen... it's very different. My character is very different. She's American, blonde, cool, in the seventies. She is this sexy witch, very powerful in town, she's very cool. She has many faces."

When asked about director Tim Burton's vision for the project, she suggested that "It's something that he's never done... It's much more focused on the actors. It could almost be a play. The script is very powerful and funny. [Angelique's] relationship with Barnabas, that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? relationship, very love-hate – it's very funny." To view the full interview, click here.

4 comments:

Chad Moore said...

Glad to hear Angelique will be a blond in the movie, but did they forget she's meant to be French not American? Of course, Lara Parker's Angelique never spoke in a French accent!

CatonsvilleCats said...

I keep hearing people say the script is funny. Dark Shadows was lots of things but I never thought of it as funny. I wonder what they've done.

Unknown said...

There's funny and there's FUNNY. I'm assuming...HOPING...that script is funny in a clever, humorous way. Take Angelique. In the original series, I always found Lara Parker's Angelique to be doing her evil with a smile, and that always brought a smile to my face as well. If it's moments like that, then it will be fine. If it turns out to be a COMEDY, then I will not be a happy camper. As for everything else that was said, I'm kind of "digging" the idea of a 70's setting. And Angelique, with a touch of Bette Davis AND Janis Joplin? Should be very interesting. As I've said before, we have to accept that Tim Burton & Co. are going to make their own film and NOT an duplicate of the t.v. series. As long as certain elements that I find important to the original still end up on the screen, I'm sure that I will be pleased.

squareheart said...

Green's remarks make me wonder if Angelique is seen almost entirely--or entirely--in 70s Collinsport, with little or no reflection of her earlier incarnation as a Caribbean lady's maid a couple centuries back. WIth all of the costume notes referring to 70s retro chic, maybe the flashback factor in this adaptation--and the whole, complicated, how-did-Barnabas-become-a-vampire suspense storyline--is de-emphasized: some American primitive portraits, a flash-past image of some eighteenth-century costumes, and that's all. Big adjustment for some of us, but it may be the compromise the adaptation has to make.