Sunday, September 25, 2011

Picture of the Week: A Famous Monster


This week it's a stunning artwork cover of Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins from Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine, originally published in October 1968. The portrait, by famed horror artist Basil Gogos, was to accompany an interview with Barnabas himself titled Who's A-Frid of the Big Bad Vampire?

"I was fascinated by [big screen Dracula] Bela Lugosi," revealed Jonathan. "His performance was like ballet. Yet his vampire was a bloodless, evil, relentless monster... I never took that tack. The Dark Shadows writers gave full life to Barnabas. He was a human being, more like Mr. Hyde with a lust for blood."

If you would like to submit an image for Picture of the Week, email webmaster@collinwood.net

3 comments:

Andrew Bayuk said...

I used to love the pictures of Barnabas and others from Dark Shadows featured in Famous Monsters. As I recall they had several awesome covers spotlighting DS. Back in the day there were only a handful of places to even get such photos, another included 16 Magazine of all things. But in order to get the scarier pictures you had to buy Famous Monsters. Only they would show the gorier and more horrible side of DS.

Howard said...

Wow, I still have that magazine in my collection....cool

SciFiHorrorFem said...

Thanks so much for posting this. I wish I still had all the Famous Monsters magazines I used to have and more...